RFID card technologies used in access control systems are not all the same. They differ from each other according to capacity, updatability and the foremost important; security. There are several ways to improve your system security from cloning and hacking. If you are planning a new access control system, we recommend you consider MIFARE® DESFire. With 128 bit AES or TDES encryption it prevents any hacking attempts. Another benefit is that it is an open standard technology; devices from different manufacturers are compatible with each other.
Depending on whether you are planning a new system or looking for methods to improve your old system, there are several ways to improve security:
- Add personal pin-codes to authentication process
- Choose a technology that is safe enough to prevent any hacking or cloning
- Consider “transparent” readers enabling all data and commands be handled within your system
- Choose highly secure OSDP v2 data protocol
- Decryption modules or software implemented in your Wiegand system, enabling you to use encrypted transponder-reader-host communication all the way from transponder to host also in existing, older Wiegand systems